Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Pond vs Lake/ Mid-Week Blues

Two generations out for a paddle

I think this was grampa and grandson, although it may have been dad and son, out for a ride in their canoe.

OK. But are they paddling on a lake or a pond?  Jacob asked me last week what the difference between a lake and a pond is, and that is a very good question.

Some people say a pond is man-made and a lake is made by Mother Nature. Hmmm. I know of many lakes that are man-made, so that cannot ALWAYS be true. Lake Scugog west of where I live is man-made, for example.

Other people say a lake is big and a pond is small. OOPS! Apparently this is not necessarily so either. There's a lake in New York State (sorry the lake's name escapes me) that is smaller than the local mill pond.

And still others say a pond is shallow enough for sunlight to reach the bottom at it greatest depth. Maybe so, I'm not sure.

I'm guessing there is no definitive answer.   Do if it's called a pond, it's a POND. If it's called a lake...well, you get the picture.

To see more photos featuring the colour BLUE, visit The Dusty Cellar's  Midweek Blues.

13 comments:

jabblog said...

Interesting question and there doesn't seem to be a satisfactory answer. Nonetheless, your photograph is very pleasing :-)

Kerri said...

Cool capture ~ and a great way to spend time together :)

kaye said...

whatever it is it's a nice way to spend some time together.

Rebecca said...

I have always wondered what the difference is too. I like the soft ripples in the water.

Cezar and Léia said...

Hi EG, thanks for all information, this picture is wonderful and I think it would be father and son! :)
And a pond! :)
Hugs
Léia

Pam said...

Its nice to see two generations enjoying each others company. There is a lot to learn about both generations.

Small City Scenes said...

I think it comes down to whoever named it first. I read that about the difference between a creek, brook, river etc--you see where I am going here. Whoever got there first.

BTW: I wish I could send you a ton of rain because we have two ton of the wet stuff. MB

Snap said...

Whatever it is ... looks like a nice lake/pond/place to be!!!!

Lindy MacDuff said...

Enjoyable is what it is....

Patti said...

I don't think a pond needs to be man-made.
But I"m not 100 percent sure. ;-)

nice photo of the two generations

Dianne said...

now you have me wondering about the difference between a creek and a brook LOL

the photo is lovely
very touching
I hope they're having a good conversation

Patti said...

...and what about a river and a stream??

tee hee

Ann said...

I was kayaking in Australia on a man made volume of water. It was very big, and the Australians call it a lake.

if the Queen grows older everytime people celebrate her birthday, she must be really old LOL, I am glad to have Monday off for her birthday.

Friends who encourage me

Blog Archive

About Me

My Photo
East Gwillimbury is a rural town less than an hour north of Toronto, Canada's largest city. My family calls me CameraGirl because I take my camera with me wherever I go.